Fear and anxiety have gripped residents of Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State following reports that one of the teachers abducted during a coordinated attack on two schools in the Ahoro-Esinele community has allegedly been killed by the kidnappers.
The tragic development has intensified panic among families of the remaining victims and residents of the community, who are still waiting for the safe return of dozens of abducted teachers and pupils taken during the raid.
The attack occurred on Friday when heavily armed gunmen riding motorcycles stormed Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele, and Yawota Baptist Nursery and Primary School, abducting teachers and students in a terrifying operation that left the entire community in shock.
Community sources said about 46 persons were kidnapped during the invasion, including seven teachers and 39 pupils and students. Among the abducted teachers are the principal of Community High School, Mrs Alamu Folawe; the vice principal, Mr Ojo Jonathan; Mr Olatunde Zacchaeus; Mr John Olaleye; Mr Michael Oyedokun; Mrs Oladeji; and Mary Akanbi of Yawota Baptist Nursery and Primary School.
Residents also claimed the attackers fled with four motorcycles after the operation.
The situation became even more heartbreaking after a distress video surfaced online showing Mrs Alamu pleading passionately with the Federal Government, the Oyo State Government and Nigerians to help secure the release of the victims without violence.
Governor Seyi Makinde, while addressing journalists after an emergency security meeting at his Ibadan residence, confirmed that one of the abducted teachers, reportedly a Mathematics teacher, had been killed by the terrorists.
“Unfortunately, we received a video this morning indicating that one of the teachers was killed by the terrorists earlier today,” the governor said, describing the situation as painful and deeply disturbing.
Makinde assured residents that the state government had launched a coordinated and sustained security operation involving the police, military, Amotekun corps, hunters and other local security groups to rescue the victims and restore calm.
According to the governor, security operatives encountered fierce resistance during rescue operations, including improvised explosive devices planted by the attackers.
“One of the Amotekun operatives is currently in critical condition in the hospital, while some soldiers, hunters and other security personnel sustained injuries during the operation,” he revealed.
The governor also disclosed that several suspects had been arrested over alleged links to the attack, including individuals suspected of providing information and logistical support to the kidnappers.
Makinde stressed that his administration would not rely solely on force but would also engage traditional rulers, religious leaders and community stakeholders in efforts to resolve the crisis and strengthen local intelligence.
He warned that rising insecurity in parts of Northern Nigeria was forcing criminal groups to move into southern states, stressing the need for stronger regional collaboration and continuous security presence.
“This is not a one-dimensional issue. We must sustain pressure on terrorists and bandits while strengthening our security architecture to protect schools, communities and travellers,” he said.
The governor promised daily updates on the rescue efforts, assuring parents and residents that government remained fully committed to bringing the abducted children and teachers back safely.
As fear spreads across the affected communities, many residents have called for urgent federal intervention, tighter school security and stronger intelligence gathering to prevent future attacks on schools in the state.
