Controversy has continued to trail the move by the Niger State Government to reclaim the Bosso Campus of the Federal University of Technology, Minna (FUT Minna), as the university community, student bodies, and government authorities exchange claims over the ownership of the facility.

The dispute, which reportedly began in 2025, gained public attention last week after lecturers and students staged a joint protest at the Bosso campus, rejecting the state government’s move and insisting that the property was permanently acquired by the university.

In a letter dated October 3, 2025, signed by Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, the state government maintained that the Bosso campus—originally a missionary school—was handed over to the state and later leased to the university in 1980.

A follow-up letter dated November 27, 2025, signed by the Secretary to the State Government, Abubakar Usman, directed the university to vacate the campus by December 1, 2025, warning that failure to do so could lead to “unpleasant development.”

Speaking during an interview on TVC, Governor Bago insisted that the state government possesses the Certificate of Occupancy for the Bosso campus and therefore retains ownership of the property.

According to him, the campus was temporarily ceded to FUT Minna when the institution was established, but the agreement was only for a 30-year lease.

He explained that the state government intends to utilise the facility for medical students of the state-owned Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University (IBB University), Lapai, particularly as the institution seeks facilities to support clinical training.

“The Bosso Campus is a property of the Niger State Government. Ibrahim Babangida pleaded with the state government when he was setting up the university in 1985, and it was taken for a 30-year lease,” Bago said.

He added that the permanent site of FUT Minna at Gidan Kwano has been in use for about 15 years and that many facilities at the Bosso campus are underutilised.

“We said let our medical students use the laboratories, hostels, and lecture theatres. They are not running any programme there. Some of the laboratories are decaying because termites are eating the furniture,” he said.

The governor stressed that the state is not planning a forceful eviction but only seeking a gradual transition and possible co-sharing arrangement with the university.

He also disclosed that the Federal Ministry of Education had been briefed on the matter and had advised the state government to commence its programme.

However, the management of FUT Minna has strongly rejected the state government’s position, insisting that the Bosso campus was permanently acquired by the Federal Government and legally belongs to the university.

In a circular signed by the Registrar and Secretary to the University Council, Danladi Mallam, the institution described the claim that the land was leased as inconsistent with the historical and legal status of the property.

The university explained that the campus remains operational and houses several key academic and research units, including the School of Science and Technology, the Centre for Disaster Risk Management and Development Studies, the Centre for Human Settlement and Urban Development, the Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, laboratories, University Health Services, and a staff school.

According to the circular, minutes from the university council’s second meeting held on September 27, 1983, indicated that the pioneer vice-chancellor had formally briefed council members on the acquisition of the former Teachers’ College from the state government, including payment of compensation.

Further evidence, the university noted, was contained in the report of the Presidential Visitation Panel covering 1999–2003, which confirmed that the Bosso campus was acquired permanently.

“The Bosso campus is lawfully and permanently vested in the Federal Government for the use of the university. The Niger State Government does not possess legal grounds to reclaim or take over the campus,” the circular stated.

Also speaking on the matter, the university’s Head of Information and Public Relations, Lydia Legbo, reiterated that compensation had been paid to the state government, confirming a complete transfer of ownership.

She stressed that there is no documented evidence of any lease or temporary arrangement between the university and the state government.

Meanwhile, the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), North Central Zone, has issued a 21-day ultimatum to the Niger State Government to abandon its plan to reclaim the Bosso campus.

Addressing journalists, the North Central Coordinator of NANS, Hussaini Jamilu Ebbo, warned that students across the region could mobilise to block major roads in the state if the government fails to reverse its decision.

Ebbo also appealed to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to intervene and prevent actions that could disrupt academic activities at the university.

Similarly, the Students’ Union Government, FUT Minna expressed concern that the proposed takeover, especially of hostel facilities at the Bosso campus, has created anxiety among students residing there.

The SUG President, Ezekiel Adaidu Machofo, warned that the state government would be held responsible for any incident affecting students as a result of the ongoing dispute.

As tensions continue to mount, stakeholders are calling for dialogue and legal clarification to resolve the ownership dispute and safeguard academic activities at the university.Controversy has continued to trail the move by the Niger State Government to reclaim the Bosso Campus of the Federal University of Technology, Minna (FUT Minna), as the university community, student bodies, and government authorities exchange claims over the ownership of the facility.

The dispute, which reportedly began in 2025, gained public attention last week after lecturers and students staged a joint protest at the Bosso campus, rejecting the state government’s move and insisting that the property was permanently acquired by the university.

In a letter dated October 3, 2025, signed by Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, the state government maintained that the Bosso campus—originally a missionary school—was handed over to the state and later leased to the university in 1980.

A follow-up letter dated November 27, 2025, signed by the Secretary to the State Government, Abubakar Usman, directed the university to vacate the campus by December 1, 2025, warning that failure to do so could lead to “unpleasant development.”

Speaking during an interview on TVC, Governor Bago insisted that the state government possesses the Certificate of Occupancy for the Bosso campus and therefore retains ownership of the property.

According to him, the campus was temporarily ceded to FUT Minna when the institution was established, but the agreement was only for a 30-year lease.

He explained that the state government intends to utilise the facility for medical students of the state-owned Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University (IBB University), Lapai, particularly as the institution seeks facilities to support clinical training.

“The Bosso Campus is a property of the Niger State Government. Ibrahim Babangida pleaded with the state government when he was setting up the university in 1985, and it was taken for a 30-year lease,” Bago said.

He added that the permanent site of FUT Minna at Gidan Kwano has been in use for about 15 years and that many facilities at the Bosso campus are underutilised.

“We said let our medical students use the laboratories, hostels, and lecture theatres. They are not running any programme there. Some of the laboratories are decaying because termites are eating the furniture,” he said.

The governor stressed that the state is not planning a forceful eviction but only seeking a gradual transition and possible co-sharing arrangement with the university.

He also disclosed that the Federal Ministry of Education had been briefed on the matter and had advised the state government to commence its programme.

However, the management of FUT Minna has strongly rejected the state government’s position, insisting that the Bosso campus was permanently acquired by the Federal Government and legally belongs to the university.

In a circular signed by the Registrar and Secretary to the University Council, Danladi Mallam, the institution described the claim that the land was leased as inconsistent with the historical and legal status of the property.

The university explained that the campus remains operational and houses several key academic and research units, including the School of Science and Technology, the Centre for Disaster Risk Management and Development Studies, the Centre for Human Settlement and Urban Development, the Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, laboratories, University Health Services, and a staff school.

According to the circular, minutes from the university council’s second meeting held on September 27, 1983, indicated that the pioneer vice-chancellor had formally briefed council members on the acquisition of the former Teachers’ College from the state government, including payment of compensation.

Further evidence, the university noted, was contained in the report of the Presidential Visitation Panel covering 1999–2003, which confirmed that the Bosso campus was acquired permanently.

“The Bosso campus is lawfully and permanently vested in the Federal Government for the use of the university. The Niger State Government does not possess legal grounds to reclaim or take over the campus,” the circular stated.

Also speaking on the matter, the university’s Head of Information and Public Relations, Lydia Legbo, reiterated that compensation had been paid to the state government, confirming a complete transfer of ownership.

She stressed that there is no documented evidence of any lease or temporary arrangement between the university and the state government.

Meanwhile, the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), North Central Zone, has issued a 21-day ultimatum to the Niger State Government to abandon its plan to reclaim the Bosso campus.

Addressing journalists, the North Central Coordinator of NANS, Hussaini Jamilu Ebbo, warned that students across the region could mobilise to block major roads in the state if the government fails to reverse its decision.

Ebbo also appealed to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to intervene and prevent actions that could disrupt academic activities at the university.

Similarly, the Students’ Union Government, FUT Minna expressed concern that the proposed takeover, especially of hostel facilities at the Bosso campus, has created anxiety among students residing there.

The SUG President, Ezekiel Adaidu Machofo, warned that the state government would be held responsible for any incident affecting students as a result of the ongoing dispute.

As tensions continue to mount, stakeholders are calling for dialogue and legal clarification to resolve the ownership dispute and safeguard academic activities at the university.

By Crystal

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *